What is Olaplex?
I copied this from the Olaplex for professionals website. Highlighting smaller sections to get to the nitty gritty.
Q: What is OLAPLEX? How does it work?
A: OLAPLEX is a bond multiplier that uses a patented active ingredient Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate. It works on the hair internally to seek out and repair broken disulfide bonds caused by chemical, thermal, mechanical and environmental damage. You can use OLAPLEX to restore all hair types, regardless of the damage it has.
When using OLAPLEX in a chemical service, it works to prevent the formation of cysteic acid, which is responsible for eating proteins out of the hair. The prevention of this reaction results in healthier, stronger hair and makes for an excellent insurance policy when performing chemical services.
OLAPLEX uses a patented and unique technology. It is neither a protein treatment or a moisture treatment.
Q: Who is OLAPLEX for? Is it just for blondes and lightening services?
A: OLAPLEX works beautifully on all hair types and textures, including virgin hair! Disulfide bonds can be broken through several means - chemical, mechanical, thermal, environmental and physiological. OLAPLEX repairs them all.
As far as services go, OLAPLEX can be used in lightener, color, perms, relaxers, thermal reconditioning and as a treatment all its own, called a Stand Alone Treatment.
Q: Which OLAPLEX product should I choose? Do I have to use the entire system for it to work?
A: First things first, since all OLAPLEX products contain their patented technology for rebuilding the broken disulfide bonds of the hair, you can’t go wrong which one you choose! That being said, the most powerful and dramatic repair will come from using the professional system, Olaplex No.1 and No.2. Here is a breakdown of all the products in the OLAPLEX range:
• Olaplex No.1 - The strongest concentration of any Olaplex product. This is for professional use only and can be used in chemical services as well as in conjunction with No.2 for a Stand Alone Treatment
• Olaplex No.2 - The perfect companion for Olaplex No.1! Not only does No.2 continue the repair of No.1, but it can also be used in multiple ways on it’s own!
• Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector - This is a take home treatment for home use. This allows your clients to continue repairing their hair at home!
• Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo - An ultra-concentrated, gentle cleanse that repairs the hair with Olaplex technology!
• Olaplex No.5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner - A conditioner that gives excellent moisture and repair. For best results, leave on he hair a minimum of three minutes.
• Olaplex No.6 Bond Smoother - A reparative, leave in styling creme that fights frizz for up to 72 hours!
• Olaplex No.7 Bonding Oil - A lightweight, ultra concentrated oil that offers UV/environmental protection and thermal protection for up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit!
• Olaplex No.0 - The latest innovation! No.0 has one function only - to boost the efficacy of Olaplex No.3 and increase the strength of the hair threefold!
For best results, it is suggested to use the entire system, but all OLAPLEX products are formulated to repair!